It’s always nice to receive praise and recognition for your work. It’s even nicer when it comes from people working in the same field, who can judge the quality of your work critically. It sparks joy in your eyes.
At least that’s how I felt when I got nominated for the Liebster Award.
It came totally unexpected. I remember walking up and down the room with the phone in my hand, not quite believing that Sonja from Upbeat Impulse found my work interesting enough to consider it for an award.
What is a Liebster Award? Who gets it and why?
The Liebster Award is an award designed by The Global Aussie and given to bloggers by other fellow bloggers. You can read the official rules here. It’s meant for people who are just starting to blog and don’t have a massive following. It’s also a great way to promote your work and get discovered by other people.
This is actually the most important lesson I’ve learned from this experience: blogging is about community as much as it is about content. There are thousands of people out there creating great content and waiting to be discovered. Stop waiting. Start reaching out to other bloggers, tell them about your work and you will discover a whole community ready to embrace your work and help you out.
One way to do this is the Liebster Award. Another medium I recently discovered is Bloglovin’. And finally, there are thousands of Facebook Groups and Google Hangouts focussed on blogging. So if you’re new to blogging, just reach out and say hello. You will be surprised at the response.
I got nominated. Now what?
As part of the award nomination, I have to answer 10 questions posted by Sonja, who nominated me.
1. How did you decide what would be your niche?
I’m obsessed by optimization in all aspects of life and spend quite a lot of time trying to make my life easier and better. So why not share the knowledge? Maybe some other people out there have the same problems/questions. It would be silly for all of us to spend so much time reading and researching the best hacks. So I do it for them.
2. What do you like most about blogging?
The fact that I can reach people from all corners of the world and maybe improve their lives by a bit.
3. What would you like to achieve in ten years time?
Have a family, a home and a good relationship with my future kids.
4. What is your favourite daily routine?
The protein shake I drink every morning. One choice less on my plate every day.
5. Who is your biggest inspiration in your life?
People who have started from the ground and worked their way up (think Andrew Carnegie, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Albert Einstein, etc.). That’s why I enjoy reading biographies.
6. What was your hardest moment in your life and how did you overcome it?
Moving to Germany and starting over was the toughest decision until now. I tackled one day after the other and it’s been the best decision of my life.
7. What is your favourite food?
Pancakes and lemon cake. Always looking forward to my next cheat day.
8. What would you do if you were a scientist?
I actually was a scientist for a long time. My areas of focus were biophysics and neuroscience.
9. Do you think you’re creative?
More disciplined than creative, but I try.
10. Coffee or soda?
11. Yoga or cardio training?
Neither. Strength training is my go-to exercise.
Now to the hard part. I have to pick 5 other blogs that have great content, but not many followers. And I get to come up with my own questions. Choosing from all the great blogs out there wasn’t easy and I may have left out some great blogs, but even so here are my 5 nominees for the Liebster Award:
Congrats on the work you’re doing, keep the posts coming. Here are my questions for you:
- What’s your niche and why did you pick it?
- If you were to gift me one book, what would it be?
- What are the best blogs you’re following?
- What hacks/tricks do you use to make life easier?
- What’s one thing are you struggling with on a regular basis?
- What’s your favourite daily routine?
- Name one thing that would make your life easier instantly.
- What was your hardest choice in your life?
- More time, brains or muscles? Pick one.
- What’s your favourite habit?
I’m really curious to read your responses. Good luck with your future posts, don’t forget to link back and share the love.